Friday, January 9, 2009

EARTHQUAKE?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, I arrived in California land safe and sound.  A long day of traveling to say the least.
I flew from Richmond Int'l Airport to Chicago and then to San Diego, hoped on Amtrak train for a 2 1/2 hour train ride to Los Angeles Union Station which is where Lauren (one of Loretta's cousins) picked me up. 
Obviously the first thing I noticed when I got off the plane was....my appetite.  Man, I was starving like never before.  Once I had that under control I looked up and...voila!.  Palm trees and a Pacific Ocean sitting right where I assumed they'd be.  I looked around at the variety of people walking around me and suddenly felt out of place in my brown pants, flannel shirt, and puffy down winter coat.  

Lauren gave me a small tour around the UCLA campus after we grabbed a bite to eat at a local sushi restaurant and then I was starting to fall asleep on the living room couch by 7:30pm California time.  Right when I was about to be out like a light I felt my entire surroundings start to shift back and forth for about 3 or 4 seconds.  My eyes bolted open and I just looked around wondering what to think.
This shift in surroundings couldn't have been timed better seeing just an hour prior Lauren and I had been talking a good bit about earthquakes and how they are right on the fault line, etc.  Furthermore, right before I dozed off to sleep I was starring at the ceiling wondering what it would be like to be in an earthquake and how disasterous it must be....all very strange happenings, eh?
Lauren bolted out of her room and was like, "Did you feel that?  That wasn't people walking on the roof was it? Do you think it was an earthquake?"  I filled her in on my assessment as she looked up on a earthquake website specifically for California areas.  Indeed, within a few minutes it was updated saying that a 5.0 magnitued earthquake occurred right in our area of Los Angeles.  
Lauren and I discussed our game plan incase there was a bigger earthquake on the way and I was then out like a light, sleeping like a jet-lagged passenger should.  
(Friday Lauren is giving me a quick tour of Los Angeles area, and I also need to assemble my boxed up bicycle and BOB trailer).  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad pacific is still here - hope quakes have stopped - enough now -love mc